This is similar to the blue stock video, but this one I did with a mixture of brown and wine color dye. I took a newer blued model glossy finished 10/22 carbine and stripped the birch stock with citrus stripper. Washed it well with warm water and a brush, let it dry, and then gently sanded the raised grain back down with 400 paper. Then I dyed it with a mixture of Rit Dye and 91% rubbing alcohol. It required a little more sanding as the grain raised more, and two or three applications of the dye to get it to the desired amount of color. After this all dried well I wiped it clean and started applying coats of Tru-Oil (Birchwood Casey). Between coats I used first 00 steel wool and later switched to 1500 wet/dry automotive type sand paper. After the seventh coat I lightly sanded one last time with the 1500 and then waxed it a couple of times with Birchwood Casey Gun Stock wax and a cotton cloth rubbing aggressively to polish and gloss up the finish. I also sealed the inner parts of the wood and under the butt pad with the oil finish for weather resistance. I know it's different, but cool in its own way. Like the other 10/22, this gun also has Tech-Sights, a nice used stainless barrel I found, and a Volquartsen Hammer kit for about a 2.5 pound crisp trigger pull. Also used a Yellow Jacket bolt buffer (the best) and a Yellow Jacket Hex socket receiver screw (also the best I think, fits like factory . . . fits flush and is long enough). thanks for looking.
Thursday, 20 December 2012
Ruger 10/22 Custom Birch Stock Refinish Brown/Wine Mixed Rit Dye and Tru-Oil
Ruger 10/22 Custom Birch Stock Refinish Brown/Wine Mixed Rit Dye and Tru-Oil Video Clips. Duration : 1.80 Mins.
This is similar to the blue stock video, but this one I did with a mixture of brown and wine color dye. I took a newer blued model glossy finished 10/22 carbine and stripped the birch stock with citrus stripper. Washed it well with warm water and a brush, let it dry, and then gently sanded the raised grain back down with 400 paper. Then I dyed it with a mixture of Rit Dye and 91% rubbing alcohol. It required a little more sanding as the grain raised more, and two or three applications of the dye to get it to the desired amount of color. After this all dried well I wiped it clean and started applying coats of Tru-Oil (Birchwood Casey). Between coats I used first 00 steel wool and later switched to 1500 wet/dry automotive type sand paper. After the seventh coat I lightly sanded one last time with the 1500 and then waxed it a couple of times with Birchwood Casey Gun Stock wax and a cotton cloth rubbing aggressively to polish and gloss up the finish. I also sealed the inner parts of the wood and under the butt pad with the oil finish for weather resistance. I know it's different, but cool in its own way. Like the other 10/22, this gun also has Tech-Sights, a nice used stainless barrel I found, and a Volquartsen Hammer kit for about a 2.5 pound crisp trigger pull. Also used a Yellow Jacket bolt buffer (the best) and a Yellow Jacket Hex socket receiver screw (also the best I think, fits like factory . . . fits flush and is long enough). thanks for looking.
This is similar to the blue stock video, but this one I did with a mixture of brown and wine color dye. I took a newer blued model glossy finished 10/22 carbine and stripped the birch stock with citrus stripper. Washed it well with warm water and a brush, let it dry, and then gently sanded the raised grain back down with 400 paper. Then I dyed it with a mixture of Rit Dye and 91% rubbing alcohol. It required a little more sanding as the grain raised more, and two or three applications of the dye to get it to the desired amount of color. After this all dried well I wiped it clean and started applying coats of Tru-Oil (Birchwood Casey). Between coats I used first 00 steel wool and later switched to 1500 wet/dry automotive type sand paper. After the seventh coat I lightly sanded one last time with the 1500 and then waxed it a couple of times with Birchwood Casey Gun Stock wax and a cotton cloth rubbing aggressively to polish and gloss up the finish. I also sealed the inner parts of the wood and under the butt pad with the oil finish for weather resistance. I know it's different, but cool in its own way. Like the other 10/22, this gun also has Tech-Sights, a nice used stainless barrel I found, and a Volquartsen Hammer kit for about a 2.5 pound crisp trigger pull. Also used a Yellow Jacket bolt buffer (the best) and a Yellow Jacket Hex socket receiver screw (also the best I think, fits like factory . . . fits flush and is long enough). thanks for looking.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment